Companies and other organisations
Companies and other organisations registered with the Companies Office have been automatically assigned an NZBN.
To find out if you’ve already got an NZBN, search for your business on the NZBN Register.
Organisations registered with the Companies Office include:
- registered companies
- incorporated societies
- charitable trust boards
- building societies, credit unions and friendly societies
- industrial and provident societies
- limited partnerships (New Zealand and overseas).
Other organisations assigned an NZBN include:
- government agencies
- other public sector entities, such as schools and local councils.
When you'll need our help getting an NZBN
You will need our help to get an NZBN if your organisation does not fit any of the above categories. For example, you will need our help if your organisation was:
- formed by legislation (such as an Act of Parliament)
- not formed by legislation, and also not an unincorporated sole trader, partnership or trust (for example, a charity that is not a charitable trust).
For help getting an NZBN for one of these types of organisations, contact us.